Monday, October 29, 2018

Bunions

      Bunions commonly form at the base of the big toe, as a result of abnormal biomechanical stresses in the foot. The body's autonomic response to these stresses is to build extra bone in the enlarging joint.
     A fallen arch, especially if combined with pronation of the foot (bending inward of the inside of the foot), can cause development of a bunion. The process is slow, and may not be noticed until the toe starts to hurt, or shoes don't fit well.
    Problematic changes in our body's biomechanics can develop at any age, and are almost always a complex interplay of forces and effects.
    Bunions can be treated effectively without surgery. Here is my treatment plan:
    As an Advanced Proficiency Rated ACTIVATOR chiropractor, I check the status of the arch, assess for pronation, and check & adjust all the joints of the feet. I advise the patient if orthotics are necessary to support the feet, and I prescribe exercises to strengthen the arch.
    Prescription orthotics may be needed, but patients can usually start with a good over-the-counter orthotic, properly fitted.
    Every aspect of my treatment plan is designed to relieve or counteract the stresses that caused the bunion. I have found this approach successful many times in my practice.